34 thoughts on “The Profile of a Modern Teacher

1. Hi Reid,

This is a really thoughtful and striking infographic. It resonates with me for several reasons. Firstly, vulnerability is a strong thread in this. I have read Daring Greatly by Brene Brown, and subscribe pretty firmly to the power that vulnerability can bring to a person. Secondly, it asks the question (actually, it tries to answer it) about what we need to so in order to become more innovative as educators in a world that is innovating itself every day and leaving education way, way behind. I will be using this infographic a lot and for a long time I think. Thanks.

• Thanks Marcello:

I heard you on the COETAILcast last night. Great thoughts.

I have not read Daring Greatly, but just have seen her TED talk, which was really cool. It was my New Year’s resolution two years ago.

• Hi again Reid,

The book hooked me, but I did not know that she had a TED talk. I will watch that immediately (I love learning about stuff like this!) . I never made a resolution, and maybe I should, but this is something I think about more and more. Like Anneliese below mentions, it goes way beyond teaching. I have two kids, and it really makes me consider what I am bringing them in terms of modeling courage and vulnerability.

I saw that you are using MineCraft as well. We are starting our MineCraftEdu program this week, so I will definitely pick your brain as we go along.

Thanks,

Marcello

2. Very nice….I like that choose to be vulnerable is in the top left corner where you eye natural starts. That’s such a bold statement and everything builds off of that.

Might just have to adopt this infographic as the profiles of a COETAILer. :)

3. This is brilliant! I couldn’t have expressed it better myself.

What I would have said before, is that in the past we valued teachers with an “expert mindset”. Now, we have to look for ones with a “learner mindset”. If we all waited until we felt we could use technology perfectly and were able to deliver the perfect lesson plan before trying, we’d never get anything done.

Your infographic delineates the line between the teachers who are paralyzed by the changes brought by technology integration in education and those who are thrilled about the challenges and adventures that it brings. :)

Separating the sheep from the goats, one might say ;)

I’m going to print this out. Love this so much.

Thanks for sharing, Reid.

4. Nice job Reid! This is a great example of what many of us actively pursue for ourselves and our students every day. It is often said or thought that kindness is viewed as a weakness or lack of knowledge.

I think the same viewpoint if often found about teachers. Teachers who every day as you say allow themselves to be vulnerable, comfortable not always knowing what is going to happen, invite mistakes also as a weakness. I want to blast your Infographic out to the world, but maybe only teachers truly know what teachers go through and the risks we so often embrace.

5. This is a phenomenal graphic- I feel like it could apply to all humans with a special focus on teachers!

Where did you find this? Or did you make it yourself?

6. Great Post!!! Thanks for sharing. Would love to share with my team!!

7. Amazing post – you have put into words the feeling that most 21st century tech teachers feel… some of my reflections here in my post link to coetail.com
    Love the term ‘inspirational graphic’ – so apt
    Thanks!

8. From the list of comments its clear. Found this on twitter (yep) and just wanted to say – thanks for raising the bar with this.

9. Sorry it took a while to reply, but I just wanted to say thanks for all the positive feedback and support. Feel free to print it out, drop it in the staff room and let the ideas percolate through your staff. :-)

10. Hi Reid,
    Nice Infographic, my take away from this is ” see themselves as co-learners, not Teacher”. Having feelings that I can learn something from my students also makes one realize the strengths of our students. With your permission I am going to put this in my class (not staff room) for my students to have a look into this and help me improve.
    Iqbal

11. I love this as a potential checklist for my own teaching and reflection on that teaching. In keeping with your CC license I have adapted your infographic as a checklist here: link to diigo.com. I think that I am following the terms for use, but let me know if you think this is inappropriate.

• Hey Terry:

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Thanks for checking in with me. It looks great! Good luck with it. Best,

12. This is a great inforgraphic and explains exactly the misconceptions that many teachers have. I like the way it is full of positive suggestions without making teachers feel inadequate. I’ll be sharing it with my colleagues! Thanks

13. That is an awesome inforgraphic, so very candid, honest, and positive. Kim posted it as we end Course 3. That would make a great T-shirt.

14. Hi Reid,

This is fantastic. It is a eye-catching visual that packs a powerful punch of honesty. I love it. What was your inspiration or in thinking about re-mixing where were some of the influences that came together for you to create this? Also, if you don’t mind me asking what program did you use to create this? I love infographics. I am drawn to them, and often want to dabble in creating my own, but I tend to get so intimidated about how to even begin to design one that I never do. After watch the How to be Creative (I’m sure you’ve seen it being a fellow Coetailer link to youtube.com) video, I know I should just dive it and go for it. I just need some direction on where to start.

Thanks for the inspiration!

15. In my experience as a teacher I can identify that I have developed some items on this list , I will work on developing . thanks

16. Great post! This is essentially the “Growth Mindset” idea. I think this is so important to have, especially towards technology in this day and age of constant change. I especially love the one that says “Don’t wait until their experts to introduce something.” This one really resonates with me because sometime I notice myself feeling hesitant to begin something, because I want to be an expert at it first. Your infographic is an good reminder that it’s so important to jump in and learn from the process!

Thanks so much for you post! I’ve also checked out The Noun Project, as I noticed the source below your image. The application looks fabulous (and great job using it)! I’m going to give it a try myself :)

17. Digging deeper into this… looking for a way to engage thinking with our teachers at the beginning of the year and continue to revitalize during the year. I was very excited to hear about our teachers wanting to shed the idea about becoming experts in tech.

18. so true.. traditional teachers should embrace the 21st Century skills to cope up with the fast and ever changing competitve world of teaching – learning environment.

19. This really reminded me of the reality and definion of an Educator of ANDRAGOGY= Adult Education…

Luis Angel Ramos (Irizarry), Jr. M.A.Ed. Andragogo/Andragogist 386-307-9654*Personal & Professional Web Page: http://Americano3777.tripod.com
    *Professional Profile: link to pr.linkedin.com
    *TV Commercial as Admissions/Marketing/Promotions/Temporary Position as Hispanic Campaign Manager for a new college: link to youtu.be4 *Facebook: link to facebook.com
    *Also see my Facebook Groups with more than 3,700 Members Nationwide: Boricuas en Deltona, Volusia County, FL & Americanos: Latinos/Hispanics en Volusia
    County*”The Journey is what brings us Happiness not the Destination.” Joel Osteen & Joyce Meyer
    [Attitude = 100%. If you add the alphabetical value of every letter of the word attitude you will get a 100 numeric result.

20. Pingback: Working towards my final goal | Sometimes questions are hard & answers simple

21. Pingback: Journey of a Lifelong Learner | Week 5: “Get out of the way!”

22. Wow, that’s what I was exploring for, what a stuff! existing
    here at this web site, thanks admin of this web site.

23. Thanks for this infographic. I think it is a great visual to share with my colleagues, especially those more wary of embracing technology. I think it’s important for 21st century teachers to become more open to technology.