Portfolio blogs in middle school: Public or private?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Laura Laura 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Profile photo of Laura

Hi there,

Sorry for responding to this post so late, I just came across it and it has a lot to do with my Course Five Project. For my project I wanted to motivate students to write more in their E-Portfolio blogs. We just had this awesome STEM festival and I paired 6th graders up with 8th graders that were doing the same project. I also presented to a group of parents inviting them and other family members (far away) to take part in commenting. I was hoping that these two things would increase student motivation for blogging. Very few blogging buddies and relatives actually took the time to read and comment on the student blogs and my plan failed. Teachers complained that they just didn’t have enough time to incorporate this activity into their lessons. I think most parents just didn’t find the time to read their children’s posts either.
    Now I am thinking about opening some of these blogs up to the world, with students’ permission. My admin feels a bit hesitant on this as they are concerned with student feelings being hurt if someone leaves an inappropriate comment. I think we should take the risk, especially if the child is willing to share their reflections about learning. I need to reach the Redifinition level for my project and making the student E-Portfolio blogs public would do this. What are your feelings/ advice on this topic? Does your school do reflective E-Portfolio blogs? Are the students at your school motivated to write and reflect about their learning or is it something that they have to do?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Group logo of Middle School
Public Group
active 6 months, 2 weeks ago ago

A place for Middle School teachers to chat, bounce ideas, and start collaborations.