“The 2016 ISTE Standards for Students emphasize the skills and qualities we want for students, enabling them to engage and thrive in a connected, digital world. ” [excerpt from ISTE]
Click here to access the standards for students.
To help unpack the new standards and view the indicators, click here.
1. Empowered Learner
Students leverage technology to take an active role in choosing, achieving and demonstrating competency in their learning goals, informed by the learning sciences.
“I can use technology to set goals, work towards achieving them and demonstrate my learning.”
- I can set goals for my learning and reflect on my learning.
- I can connect with other learners to help me learn.
- I can improve my work by asking others to give their opinion.
- I can fix problems on different types of technology.
2. Digital Citizen
Students recognize the rights, responsibilities and opportunities of living, learning and working in an interconnected digital world, and they act and model in ways that are safe, legal and ethical.
“I can understand the rights, responsibilities, and opportunities of living, learning, and working in an interconnected digital world.”
- I can create an online version of myself and understand it lasts forever.
- I can follow the rules when I’m online.
- I can share my own ideas and ask others if I can share their ideas.
- I can only tell safe sites my information.
3. Knowledge Constructor
Students critically curate a variety of resources using digital tools to construct knowledge, produce creative artifacts and make meaningful learning experiences for themselves and others.
“I can critically select, evaluate and synthesize digital responses into a collection that reflects my learning & builds my knowledge.”
- I can plan how to research for school and for fun.
- I can decide if a website if a good source to use for research.
- I can make connections and conclusions to the information that I find using different tools.
- I can learn and find answers to real world problems.
4. Innovative Designer
Students use a variety of technologies within a design process to identify and solve problems by creating new, useful or imaginative solutions.
“I can use a design process to solve problems by creating new and imaginative solutions using a variety of digital tools.”
- I can use a design process to decide how to solve a problem.
- I can use a design process to select different tools to plan how to solve problems.
- I can use a design process to learn from my mistakes and create new designs from what I have learned.
- I can use a design process to work to solve problems that may not always have an answer.
5. Computational Thinker
Students develop and employ strategies for understanding and solving problems in ways that leverage the power of technological methods to develop and test solutions.
“I can identify authentic problems, work with data and use a step-by- steps process to automate solutions.”
- I can use repetitive technology to help me solve problems.
- I can collect, understand and show information.
- I can break down problems into smaller parts to solve big problems.
- I can understand how using formulas and machines help solve different problems.
6. Creative Communicator
Students communicate clearly and express themselves creatively for a variety of purposes using the platforms, tools, styles, formats and digital media appropriate to their goals.
“I can communicate effectively and express myself creatively using different tools, styles, formats & digital media.”
- I can choose the right program to show my work.
- I can create new works or seek permission to recreate old work.
- I can explain hard ideas by using different ways to show that I understand.
- I can create work for a certain group of people.
7. Global Collaborator
Students use digital tools to broaden their perspectives and enrich their learning by collaborating with others and working effectively in teams locally and globally.
“I can broaden my perspective, understand others and work effectively in teams using different tools.”
- I can connect with other learners using different programs to learn.
- I can connect with other learners to see different sides of a problem.
- I can help a team in different ways to solve a problem.
- I can work on a team to solve a problem and create a solution.