I have to think that, for some very unconscionable reason, that a motive to be a high school teacher is that I really enjoyed my time in high school. I enjoyed the sports teams I played on, I loved my friends that I shared time with, and I can honestly say that the classes I took were fun (not all the time). I was blessed to grow up in the time and space of upstate NY where I was able to experience pretty much everything that I could have imagined.
Sitting around and playing with all the creative tools that make visual literacy happen in the world, I began to wonder what I could have done with such innovations such as the ipod, the smartphone, the laptop computer and it dawned on me that kids today aren’t really tapping the true potential of existing technologies for both academic and personal use. I am going back to 1989 and I’m going to show how these technologies could have significantly enhanced my teen years.
Here are some ways that the 1989 me would have utilized the 21st century tools:
1. love letters
I am assuming that email has replaced the love letter but that lacks creativity and imagination. I am wondering what teen boy with a crush on a girl has created the romantic powerpoint or prezi that shows they really want a date.
2. parent communication
I really want to go to that Bon Jovi concert or need $20 bucks to go see Pretty Woman with that girl I sent the awesome “love powerpoint” to. Prezi may work here to convince parents of the difficulties of adolescence.
3. my friends
Facebook right. No, wrong. Friends require more effort. They require information and a personal touch that appreciates the time they covered for me when all the gin in Dad’s cabinet went missing or they are in a jam with the school bully.
That’s kind of lame I guess. Here are some other augmentations I would have made in 1989:
- Instead of mixtape……play list to here my Vanilla Ice, Arrested Development, and Madonna, and Skid Row.
- Evernote to run the 8,000 Sunday Errands my mother had me do like clockwork.
- Slingbox to watch football while at my cousins horse shows and WKRP in Cincinatti
- Flip video to refine my hitting in baseball
- Twitter to really understand the events around the collapse of European Communism and Operation Desert Storm
- Voicethread to ask girls out
- Livebinders instead of Trapper Keepers
- Youtube to get a laugh when ever a teen crisis kicked in.
- Ebay to sell stuff if i needed some quick cash to shop at Chess King.
- Google maps to find carnivals in the region to hone my skills at winning stuffed animals.
- How Stuff works to get better at playing pool in my friends house or to distill my own spirits.
- Shaving, typing, and spanish speaking tutorials
- Self defense training
- Visual and data collection for use in competitive swimming and Bell Biv Devoe analysis