Welcome to Magazine Premium

You can change this text in the options panel in the admin

There are tons of ways to configure Magazine Premium... The possibilities are endless!

Member Login
Lost your password?

QR Codes, iPads, and 2nd graders.

November 10, 2012
By

Photo credit: Mike Hoffman

I use iPads with my class frequently, using a cart that we have access to.  I have started to use QR codes more and more as a quick and simple way to get my students started with their work.

I have made a QR code for every blog that we read and comment on, as well as any other websites that we use regularly.

The children can then take their iPad off the cart, walk up to the SMART Board and simply scan the code that corresponds with the blog that they want to read.

I am also working with Julie Turner on mini-flipping our classrooms (her 1st grade, my 2nd grade).  Our plan is to record very short  small-group lessons, and make them accessible to student when we work in centers.  These lessons could also be kept as QR codes in a folder.  We can open the folder to the lesson (video) that we want the children to work with, and they can scan the code and  get right to work.

Tags: ,

7 Responses to QR Codes, iPads, and 2nd graders.

1. Profile photo of Christina Botbyl
    Christina Botbyl on November 11, 2012 at 4:54 am

Hi Marcello,

What great ideas for using QR codes with elementary students! Super practical way of helping younger students get to places on the web without requiring lots of typing of URLs. I love the idea of flipping lessons for use in centers. This seems like a really powerful way to develop independent learning skills in a developmentally appropriate manner. I can even imagine ways to use a similar format with students in middle and high school classes. Looking forward to learning more as you progress in this project.

2. Profile photo of Clint Hamada
    Clint Hamada on November 12, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Marcello,

I can’t wait to see what kinds of resources you develop for your 1st and 2nd graders. How do you plan on creating them? We were playing with the ShowMe app in our house this weekend and it is awesome for creating screencasts quickly! Oh, and I love the QR code half of this project too…

• Profile photo of Marcello Mongardi
      Marcello Mongardi on November 12, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I have been talking with Julie (1st grade, fellow COETAILer) about lessons that we can create together. We are thinking about literacy lessons that small groups can watch and work with at the beginning of a Readers’ or Writer’s Workshop. I will definitely check out ShowMe for screen casting. My kids are also making short videos to explain their discoveries during Word Work (for example, today they found out that talk, hawk and rock al share the same ending sound). I would like to make a binder of QR codes that link to videos explaining all of the different blends and digraphs and diphthongs etc.

• Profile photo of Jeff Utecht
        Jeff Utecht on November 16, 2012 at 11:37 pm

So cool…….can’t wait to see this happen. Sounds like you’re course 5 project is well on it’s way.

3. Jamie Payne on November 17, 2012 at 7:41 am

Hi Marcello,

Awesome idea! As Christina said, using QR codes for accessing sites on the Internet makes a lot more sense for lower elementary. Could you tell me the app you use?

Thanks!
    Jamie Payne (COETAILer in Japan)

• Profile photo of Marcello Mongardi
      Marcello Mongardi on November 18, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the comment. We use Scan to read the codes on the iPads, it’s a free app. Then we use a free site (http://qrcode.kaywa.com) to generate the codes. It’s all free!