How can entice teachers and students into inquiry learning in that sense into a new kind of learning?I agreed the vision Will Richardson outlines so well in his ” Edutopia—Learning well with others” article about the collaborative nature of learning broadly conceived to include all participants (students and teachers) with access to the Internet.

“We must engage with these new technologies and their potential to expand our own understanding and methods in this vastly different landscape. We must know for ourselves how to create, grow, and navigate these collaborative spaces in safe, effective, and ethical ways. And we must be able to model those shifts for our students and counsel them effectively when they run across problems with these tools.”

What I could describe with regard to learning environment “World without walls

For us as educators, the challenges of this moment are significant. “How to teach when learning is everywhere” Therefore, we need to reconsider our roles in students’ lives, and channel the knowledge and make it useful for the kids’ learning goal.

How much better for our students and ourselves as teachers to take the opportunity to learn from them and to learn together as we explore the new technologies? As students see teachers modeling lifelong learning, we prepare them to do the same because the future of our students will change at faster pace than the one we find ourselves in today.

It seems obvious to me that if we really want Education 2.0 we need to have Web 2.0 teachers to promote student-centered learning. Now as a Mandarin teacher I can see that most teachers do not use technology as an integrated part of the lesson, therefore missing the potential for truly independent student-centered learning.

I learned that in order to create curriculum that will benefit the students you have to pay attention to the students and their preferred learning styles. Many teachers use a Classic teaching style which doesn’t cater to or help students whose preferred learning style is hands on, aural, visual, etc. Thus, those students are left behind.

Technology is a tool that can help students do well because it crosses many learning styles, but teachers need to know how to use it. Computer technology cannot just be added; you need to change your teaching style to be able to use it as a tool not a gimmick or something to take up time.

I’m using online testing Quia  and OLC for many lessons, it saves time and gives immediate results to the students and I can track what worked in my lessons and what didn’t work.

Here are two kinds of classroom:                             Current Classrooms — Teacher Centric

Standardization, which replaced personalization as public school enrollment rose in the late 1800s, still dictates the way subjects are taught: A teacher rules the classroom roost, using a prescribed approach to teach a generic curriculum to everyone in the classroom at the same time.

Future Classrooms — Student Centric

This model utilizes the teacher as mentor, problem solver, and support person. The focus for this “floating” teacher is on serving individual students who are learning at their own pace.

When I was reading Dr. Clayton M. Christensen’s “Disrupting Class: Student-Centric Education Is the Future” I can’t stop chuckling when I see these two pictures. Why are the teachers standing in front of the whiteboard, which is an extremely traditional teaching style? Both styles of teaching and learning exist in our school. I’m currently still combining  both. As a language teacher, I don’t think that a way should be replaced by another way. Students need to learn the concept of the language first( I just used Smartboard  to introduce  in LS and am using animated Power Point Slides and Smart Notebook(without Smartboard) in MS–I will apply for Smartboard this year )and then interact with others. They can enhance their learning by working with the computer programs afterwards.

See full size image