Grade 1 Zoo Blog

Grade 1 Zoo Blog

Anisha’s Hippo Picture

I have been so encouraged with all my technology learning and our wonderful librarian, Jenn that I decided if I had a blog…so could my kiddos!  We are studying descriptive words and poetry and that led us to the Nepal Central Zoo!  What better to describe than animals?  I had the children each take a camera to document the day and the “words” they found.  We brought the cameras back to class and they sorted through their pictures and wrote down all the descriptive words they found.  They then created poems and typed them on the computer.  We created a blog to share their pictures and poems with the WORLD!!  The kids LOVE it.  They can’t wait to log on and see the blog in the morning to find out how many people have looked at it.  They also enjoy the feature that shows where the people are that are looking at it…China, USA, Nepal, Bangladesh, Hong Kong…and many more.  Next week the students will comment on each other’s blog posts.  This really brought out the excitement in the kids to write more poems and they will add them to the blog as they write them.   This is definitely an example of how integrating technology has really increased the kids excitement of what they are learning and has created a wonderful memory that will help them to retain what they are learning!!  YAY for technology!!!

9 thoughts on “Grade 1 Zoo Blog

1. Avatar of Jennifer BrownJennifer Brown

Great idea! I was thinking how I could do something similar with my second grade insect unit. The students take pictures of a variety of butterflies at our local zoo and then create a short slide show describing their photos and visit to the zoo. The students also learn about poetry, but later on in the year. This would be a great way to bring the two units together. I might have to try this next year, would you mind?

1. Avatar of heddenturnerheddenturner Post author

Mind? No WAY!! That is why we share right? To get ideas and share ideas… :) I think I would add next year maybe some video to the blog. The kids could read their poems on video or possibly just take video of some of the animals. Maybe they would do an introduction “news cast” to why we have the blog and what is in it. Anyway… I think using it with an insect unit would be really nifty.

2. Avatar of Mike NonatoMike Nonato

It looks like I get excited about the same things your kids do! I used a URL direction service to see how many of my coworkers were visiting my blog…then I posted another link to facebook and then another link which I emailed out to my friends, and it was awesome seeing where all the hits were coming from, and from where they were getting the link from. Much of this is the reason why I’m beginning to love blogging: I love seeing the numbers of readers rise and it’s cool to think that people could be looking at my work from anywhere in the world. Even more thrilling is when I get comments from friends and family, as well as my classmates and co-workers at my school. It’s almost impossible to keep everyone up to date with what’s been happening in my life, but putting out a blog has been one of the best things that allows people a window into my life of international (minded) teaching.
    Have your students’ grandparents or relatives from around the world commented on their blogs yet? If so, what was their reaction to it?

3. Avatar of heddenturnerheddenturner Post author

Mike, I am going to have to learn about this URL direction service. I would love to do the same on my blog!! I e-mailed out the blog yesterday and so far not many comments, but a lot of reactions in person. They are all excited and thrilled to be able to share their children’s work with family this way. I have encouraged them all to leave a comment so we can read them in class. I think once the kids get started commenting, parents will as well. My colleagues are commenting and the kids enjoy reading what other teachers have to say. Our 2nd Grade buddy class will be adding comments next week as part of their writing time.

4. Avatar of Laura Paget FaulkLaura Paget Faulk

I want to be friends with your amazing librarian Jenn! I will be a first year elementary librarian next year after being in the classroom for 8 years (teaching grade 1 and 2) and I need a mentor :) Your Zoo blog is super cute and I love that it motivated your grades to write and share their work. I am going to show my grade 2’s your zoo blog tomorrow at school. We are currently working on writing poems and I think this will inspire them to share their poetry on our class blog!

5. Avatar of heddenturnerheddenturner Post author

Collaboration is pretty awesome!!! She is certainly an expert at it. She has a blog too and I linked our library site to my post so you can see it from there. What is your class blog? I would love to look at it. PLEASE have your kids make comments. Mine would love to see students from another country post comments.

6. Avatar of HeatherHeather

Hi Julie, I really enjoyed reading your ideas for going to the zoo with your class, and your class blog and the students work looks wonderful. I hope you don’t mind but I am going to do a similar thing – my 1st grade class is going to the Singapore zoo next week and I had already planned to give them a camera to take photos of animals – now I am thinking I might have them create a document with describing words about the animal they take a photo of, then put all them together into a class book using Youblisher. Thanks for that!

7. Martha

Julie, This is a great idea and enjoyed reading about it. I know your students are loving all the wonderful things you are doing with them. I am very proud of you….